Bass Strings

D.L. Bullock dlbullock@att.net
Tue, 21 May 2002 08:14:33 -0700

Years ago I got bass strings from a variety of sources.  I found rattle and
problems with one or two in every set.  I no longer purchase them from any
normal piano supply houses because of this.

I have used Mapes for over 10 years and I have never had a bad string from
them.  Of course, I also learned the 3 twist secret at the same time I
started with them so that may factor in.

To answer the question asked, A twist in our shop is a full 360 degree twist
and it is done with the tuning pin in hand before the rosin goes on for
hammering into the block.  There is also someone holding the loop down on
the hitch.  In the case of strung pianos, I have a vise grip plier that has
flat tips to its jaws and I hold the string by the tightly coiled end of the
loop which allows me to lift it off, twist the loop end around and put it
back in place with little chance of slipping out and flying off.  The old 30
year old Yamahas really came back to life after the twists.

I have found previous rebuilds that had all the strings twisted the wrong
way.  Needless to say this was not the only problem with the so-called
rebuild inflicted on that piano.

For several years I was trying fewer turns on my restrings.  I found no ugly
sound with more turns.  I settled on three because it gave the impression of
a larger bass.

Oh, tiny pianos do get less than three twists...more like 1.5 to 2.  I
haven't broken any new strings doing this but I don't want to either.

D.L. Bullock
www.thepianoworld.com
St. Louis