Marketing Approach

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Tue, 21 May 2002 09:14:00 -0400

Interesting one Clyde. Some good ideas. Thanks. A few comments.

"Find a bass string that sounds the best and compare it with one of the =
bad ones."=20

They are all bad, but you could compare the dramatic change in tone from =
the low tenor to the first bass. I get your point here though.

"Over the years I have unfortunately developed cynicism about some piano =
teachers.  They are like piano technicians in that some of them are =
truly excellent world-class teachers, while others shouldn't be trying =
to teach at all.  I service pianos for a number of teachers, and the =
pianos go anywhere from nice grands to truly poor spinets (a certain =
Kincaid spinet comes to mind)."

Kincaid - OUCH! My sympathy.

"I once talked to a teacher whose piano (a Kimball console or something =
similar) was *very* out of tune and she said, "Oh, something's wrong =
with it."'

That is part of why I decided to not say anything this time. She told me =
the piano was tuned about 9 months ago. She said it was in pretty good =
tune, but she had moved it and thought she should tune it again. When I =
sat down to play it initially, she said it again "it's really pretty =
close, isn't it?" I did tell her that it was quite a bit out of tune - =
maybe it was the move. This was likely the worst out of tune piano that =
was more-or-less up to pitch that I have ever seen/heard. Example: F#3 =
was 15 cents flat and F#4 was 25 cents sharp! Talk about a bad octave! =
Many unisons were a good 20 cents or more off from one another. Then she =
pulls out this little $9.95 Radio Shack tuner and says "I play violin =
also and tune my violin to this". It was set at 440 Hz, which checked =
out at 12 cents flat on my Verituner. This one just seemed a little =
hopeless. Maybe next appt. the shock level will be lower, I won't feel =
so befuddled, and I will be able to have a nice heart-to-heart (or at =
least a nice piano tech to pianist) chat with her.

Takes all kinds. Hey, we'd get bored if it didn't!    :-)=20

Terry Farrell
 =20
----- Original Message -----=20