Marketing Approach

Clyde Hollinger cedel@supernet.com
Tue, 21 May 2002 08:40:19 -0400

Terry,

It just occurred to me that you could maybe use something like this:

        "Mrs. Client, even piano technicians can't agree on the exact meanings of terms like rebuilt, restored, etc.  Some will interpret it to mean spending many thousands of dollars to make the piano look and play like new and often better than new, while others may have standards that are much lower.  It may surprise you to know that even brand new pianos can often be improved considerably, although most buyers would have trouble understanding that.
        "My observations about your piano indicate that considerably more could be done to improve it.  Now if you like your piano just the way it is, fine; we'll just pick up on normal maintenance from here on.  But would you be interested if I explain to you ways that the piano can sound and play even better than it does now?"

Then take it from there.  Find a bass string that sounds the best and compare it with one of the bad ones.  Invite her to your shop, if you wish, and show her what you do.  Maybe you can show her a rebuild you just finished and let her see and play it.  Even though she is a piano teacher, she may never have played a piano that really looks and sounds good.  Or show her whatever else you think she should know.

The risk, of course, is spending a lot of time explaining/showing all this stuff and in the end not having one red cent more income to show for it.  Just be sure that if she okays more work, she will be able to notice the improvements when you are finished.  Otherwise, she'll think you're a quack out to get her money.

Over the years I have unfortunately developed cynicism about some piano teachers.  They are like piano technicians in that some of them are truly excellent world-class teachers, while others shouldn't be trying to teach at all.  I service pianos for a number of teachers, and the pianos go anywhere from nice grands to truly poor spinets (a certain Kincaid spinet comes to mind).  I once talked to a teacher whose piano (a Kimball console or something similar) was *very* out of tune and she said, "Oh, something's wrong with it."  Well, duh!  Why not get it fixed?!  But if they keep their price for lessons low enough, the trusting public will beat a path to the door.  I better stop there before I get too carried away.

Regards,
Clyde Hollinger, RPT