Marketing Approach

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Mon, 20 May 2002 19:58:56 -0400

I tuned a small Baldwin grand for a lady today. I would guess it is at least 50 years old. It is not one of their top-teir pianos - it is one of the cheaper ones. The thing has realy tubby bass strings and the action is way out of regulation, etc. - your basic worn out older piano.

She informed me that she just moved here and wants to start teaching piano again. She also plays violin. So of course, I was thinking that I should mention to her some ways to improve the performance of her piano - if not a total rebuild/replacement at least new bass strings and a serious action refurbish/rebuild.

So I asked her how long she has had the piano. She said five years. She bought it because it has just been totally rebuilt: Hammers may have been filed, case was crumily (word?) refinished, and plate and tuning pins and agraffes and strings had been painted gold.

I clammed up at that point and left. Is there any constructive way to sell her work in light of the recent "rebuild"? Anyone with a clever sales approach that would cut through the BS that she apparently purchased in the past?

I've run into similar situations before and really don't know what to say that might sound constructive and appropriate.

Terry Farrell