back covers for vertricals

Isaac OLEG oleg-i@wanadoo.fr
Mon, 20 May 2002 16:33:04 +0200

On traditionally build verticals there was always a thin satin cloth (mix of
silk & cotton), that prevent dust to go on the soundvboard/in the piano, but
more important I suspect it plays a role in regulating the R.H. ambience of
the piano.board

As verticals are along a wall most of the time, very few air flow I guess.

I am unsure of the use of silk for that purpose, but I believe it was the
cloth of choice since the discovery of artificial silk.

On almost all verticals since 1950 or so I've find a wooden frame with this
thin cloth.

We tend to forget it actually when rebuilding, for cutting costs, but I am
not sure it is a good thing. If tere is an opening in the back of the board
I always put a new cloth .

Regards.

Isaac OLEG