grand damper felt grain orientation

Jon Ralinovsky ralinoj@muohio.edu
Mon, 20 May 2002 08:19:41 -0500

Hi Mark,
I would suggest reading Roger Jolly's *excellent* series of articles
on damper regulation in the PTJ.  The February 2001 article covers
grain orientation.  To compensate for the different damper height
between the trichords and the flats, you can peel layers off the
flats.

In the future, you could use the Tokiwa pre-cut set and avoid height
differences.  Pianotek also has some nice Japanese damper felt, since
Yamaha felt is difficult to obtain now.

Respectfully,
Jon

>Hi folks,
>
>I thought I read somewhere about the pros and cons of vertical and
>horizontal damper grain orientation; but my
>memory is bad.
>
>I'm now putting new dampers on a grand and have vertical (in the
>directin of motion) grain on the uni-, bi-,
>tri-chord felts, but the square felt that I got from Schaff would be
>horizontal.  Is that normal??  Is it ok?
>
>It seems the square felt that would remotely fit on these dampers
>would be horizontal, and a set of tapered
>felt that I have starts out being 7/16" tall which means the heads
>will stick up like giraffes next to the
>hammers with tri-chord felt.  What should I be doing?
>
>Thanks,
>Mark Ultsch
>Madison Chapter

Jon Ralinovsky