Touchweight Metrology Question

Bill Ballard yardbird@pop.vermontel.net
Sun, 19 May 2002 18:42:44 -0400

At 2:13 PM -0700 5/19/02, David Love wrote:
>My impression is that Stanwood only chooses an even FW line (inertial
>resistance) when he can make the BW even with the use of assist springs to
>compensate for leverage variations.   Given the choice of smooth FW and
>uneven BW (no assist springs), or smooth BW and uneven FW, does he still opt
>for uneven BW?

As I gather. But here I should say that the only specs I've bought
from him recently have involved assist springs. I really like the way
they can "tune up" BWs.

>I would personally choose even BW since inertia is related
>to acceleration.  Small variations in inertia would be maximized only during
>higher acceleration, or louder playing.  This type of touch would be less
>sensitive to those variations.  On the other hand, unevenness in BW would be
>most perceptible at pianissimo levels when differences in inertia due to
>lower acceleration would be minimized.  The pianists perception of eveness
>would be greater in this case with even BW.

That's certainly very good thinking. I don't know what David's is.

Bill Ballard RPT
NH Chapter, P.T.G.

"You'll make more money selling my advice than following it"
     ...........Steve Forbes, quoting his father, Malcom