Cleaning the glue pot/even more stuff

Joseph Garrett joegarrett@earthlink.net
Sun, 19 May 2002 15:26:43 -0700

All,
I like to use hammer shanks, (cedar), for the stir stick in my glue pot. I
first sharpen the hammer shank in the pencil sharpener. Attach a "Wire Nut",
(as used in electrical work connecting wires), for a handle. It makes the
stir stick easier to grip. Next, I take the hammer shank to the vertical
sander and reduce the tip down to about 3/16" and give it a bevel on the
very end. As I use the stir stick to "swab" the hole in the new hammer, this
will let it do the swabbing w/o jamming up in the hole.
BTW, you should ALWAYS have a thermometer in your glue to let you know if
it's at the proper temp. (130-150degrees, no more no less!) I use a "stick"
type baker's thermometer. It comes with a little sleeve/guard w/pocket clip.
This thermometer is in the right heat range and is easy to read.
Best Regards,
Joe Garrett, RPT, (Oregon)