grand damper felt grain orientation

Mark Ultsch multsch@jvlnet.com
Sun, 19 May 2002 08:58:02 -0500

Hi folks,

I thought I read somewhere about the pros and cons of vertical and horizontal damper grain orientation; but my
memory is bad.

I'm now putting new dampers on a grand and have vertical (in the directin of motion) grain on the uni-, bi-,
tri-chord felts, but the square felt that I got from Schaff would be horizontal.  Is that normal??  Is it ok?

It seems the square felt that would remotely fit on these dampers would be horizontal, and a set of tapered
felt that I have starts out being 7/16" tall which means the heads will stick up like giraffes next to the
hammers with tri-chord felt.  What should I be doing?

Thanks,
Mark Ultsch
Madison Chapter