back covers for vertricals

William J Schlipf wjstuner@juno.com
Sun, 19 May 2002 08:19:47 -0500

Just wondering if anyone had comments on the use of acoustically
transparent materials, like speaker grill cloth, on the backs of vertical
pianos in churches or homes where the owners of the instrument don't want
the soundboard, posts, et al to show.  I was at a customers home the
other day and heard about a raging battle between some people in a church
because of this.  (Some want to cover and some don't)  I told the the
lady that if done properly, there are no take-aways from the sound of the
instrument and don't know why the battle is raging.  Now I do not take
care of the church's instruments so I have no axe to grind here, but I
was curious as to all your thoughts on the subject.  Thanks for anything
you have to share!
Bill Schlipf
Bloomington, IL

GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!