Revelation! (but makes perfect sense)

pianolover 88 pianolover88@hotmail.com
Sat, 18 May 2002 21:12:04 -0700

we have a fella at who does general work at our showroom, including cleaning
pianos in/out. Lately, I was wondering why each time I tune a piano AFTER he
has cleaned away all the rust/corrosion (on used Grands)I can tune the piano
faster, and with really great results, and super solid unisons and hardly
ANY false beats! Then it dawned on me. When he cleans the wire with a scotch
brite, or whatever he uses, applying a downward push onthe piano strings,
they become seated firmly to the bridge and bearing points! yes, the removal
of oxidation and/or rust also alleviates some falesness, but the rubbing
down on the strings really makes the tuning a breeze. New pianos, verts and
grands are often a real wrestling match because of super tight pins, and
strings that are not firmly seated...so from here on in, I will rub the
strings down FIRST (with a soft cloth, not abrasive of course!) then see if
this helps..I'll bet it will.

Cheers,

Terry Peterson