Virus files on list ?

John Musselwhite john@musselwhite.com
Sat, 18 May 2002 12:38:07 -0600

At 12:19 PM 18/05/02 +0200, Richard B wrote:

>I wonder if it might be better for us all to go back to simple text
>based email clients with no HTML capabilities and only "manual open"
>attachments allowed.

Some of us never went away from there, Ric. I would rather give up email
than have Outlook on any of my computers.

Eudora (http://www.eudora.com) comes in free or pay modes for Windows, Mac
or Palm, is easy to set up and is extremely versatile. HTML is available
when you need it and attachments appear in a link to the file, which will
be stored in an easily locatable directory. There are other alternatives to
Outlook and Express as well. I urge everyone to look into one of these and
avoid Outlook like the plague or wooden-framed birdcages.

While we're on the subject, those who use Usenet to read
rec.music.makers.piano or any other newsgroups through their web browser
might consider downloading and installing "Free Agent"
(http://www.forteinc.com/main/homepage.php).  Usenet actually can be a joy
rather than a chore with it.

And finally, if you're not running a virus checker on your Windows computer
by now PLEASE get one. There are freeware ones out there that work well,
and Norton (http://www.symantec.com or .ca for Canadians) is free for three
months with yearly subscriptions for $20. Such a deal, considering the
damage something simple like "k l e z "  might do! I have been getting more
than a dozen infected emails a day that Norton has trapped as well as a few
I've had to catch manually because Norton thought they were benign when
they weren't.

That last is important too. Even if a file passed the checker, if you
weren't expecting a file called "start.bat" or something like that DO NOT
run it without double checking with the sender!

                 John

John Musselwhite, RPT    -     Calgary, Alberta Canada
http://www.musselwhite.com  http://canadianpianopage.com/calgary
Pianotech IRC chats Tuesday and Thursday nights and Sunday Mornings
http://www.bigfoot.com/~kmvander/ircpiano.html