Touch weight Metrology Question

Isaac OLEG oleg-i@wanadoo.fr
Fri, 17 May 2002 10:31:19 +0200

David, all,

Almost any (somewhat short) piano I measure the KR with the weight method
show a 0.2 difference between whites and sharps.

I had the same result the first time I measured a grand S&S C model, then I
measure again and every note was right (no more difference showing).

This difference puzzle me and I am looking to understand where does it come.

Indeed the capstan are often misaligned, but that will not lend to a
difference between sharps & whites I guess.
Misplaced balance rail ? I believe that the way the keys are designed ,
there is a flaw in the computation that lend to this difference, or may be
the way the keys are measured on the jig can add a little error margin too.

On short keys, the force is acting at the perpendicular of the lever when
playing, I don't believe this is reproducible with weights, or may be the
place to weight may be different for short keyboards than for long ones,
(just trying to understand).

I've seen a keyboard where the key arms where computed by measuring under
the key, and the good lever in theory transform in large (0.4) difference
between whites & sharps.

But David , did you ever modify an action so the sharps have a different
capstan placement ? I believe you don't.

Why not compromise the data on the basis that we play more the white keys
(and they are more) so give some "weight" (for example 30%) for the sharps
SWR and the remaining for the whites.

On Terry's action, may be the bolts are not well bedded when the action is
on the bench, and the SWR is too high because of that too and may be the
whippen rail is not very straight.

Anyway before taking the samples, seems very important to me to check the
pinning and regulate the notes. It is amazing how with my little
understanding of the method, I could yet see some facts in the Terry's data.
This touch weight analysis is a must !

Regards.

Isaac OLEG