Rock & Roll Tuning

Billbrpt@AOL.COM Billbrpt@AOL.COM
Fri, 17 May 2002 09:07:29 EDT

In a message dated 5/17/02 7:30:19 AM Central Daylight Time,
mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com (Farrell) writes:

> I suppose the only thing to do is to do a good tuning and split. Any words
> of wisdom, do's &

I'll answer your question first with one of my own.  How many times would you
imagine that under the same circumstances, a tuner, fully convinced that ET
and ET only would be the one proper way to tune the piano, ended up offering
what Richard suggested as a joke?

If you have an ETD, I would suggest that you use the standard program and
worry less about temperament in this case than good octaves, unisons and
stability, particularly in the treble & high treble.  The typical R&R
performer will hammer on the piano in this area ( a la Jerry Lee Lewis) and
this is what will be heard over anything else.  Indeed, most performers will
"test" the piano up there by banging hard on it to see if it will hold.  (I
remember a guy named Commander Cody who used to play the piano with his shoe
up there but still insisted on rock solid clarity and stability).

Now, as far as temperament goes, if it won't take more time than it is worth
to program the ETD, then I'd suggest one of the very mild Victorian ones that
people have been talking about.  This would not be the time to test the magic
properties of the EBVT because you won't really have time to make sure that
you have got it the way it is intended to be.

Your hint about Meantone is really not that far off the mark because most R&R
is played in the simple keys with 3 chord traditional harmony, which is what
Meantone provides.  But really, any but the mildest Meantones such as 1/7,
1/8 or 1/9 would be so strikingly different that you would have trouble with
stability and also with acceptance.

The choice of a mild Victorian however, would give your chords played in the
upper register more clarity and warmth.  But again, don't waste time on this
over other basics.

You are likely to find the piano off pitch.  So, telling yourself that you
are going to run your program as quickly as you can once, maybe even twice to
get it stable, then a final time pounding as hard and fast as you can will
give you the best results.  Remember the sage advice of the late George
Defebaugh to give you the motivation to get the job done the best way you
can:  "You can tune the piano a lot faster twice [or even 3 times] than you
can fight with it once".

A  3rd or 4th pass can also be used on just one section of the piano which is
giving you problems, such as the treble or high treble.  Get these areas
stabilized first and leave the bass for last.  It is the easier, less
stressful and more forgiving part of the piano which can be finished in a
hurry when time is running out.  Wearing ear plugs will help not only with
the stress but also suppress background noises helping you to keep your
concentration.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.  Coincidentally, I have to do a Jazz
concert tuning late today with similar pressures except that thankfully, it
is not outdoors.  (It will be all of 58 degrees here today, cold air from
Canada hanging in there).  The piano will come from a dealer whose tuners all
tune RW.  I expect it to be off pitch and probably need regulation.  Every
one I have ever tuned from that place before has been that way.  I will
probably have to do just a quick tuning (30 minutes) and come back when they
are finished rehearsing and do a real job.  I'm not going to discuss
temperament with the pianist but if he makes a comment about temperament
after my initial rough tuning (which is the last thing I would expect), I
will take action accordingly.

Life is a challenge, rise to it.

Bill Bremmer RPT
Madison, Wisconsin