Touchweight Metrology Question

Bill Ballard yardbird@pop.vermontel.net
Fri, 17 May 2002 00:04:42 -0400

At 1:14 PM -0500 5/16/02, Gordon Holley wrote:
>Hi Terry.  Well, trying to follow this 4 page conversation was little
>confusing and  before jumping in on this subject with my question on
>Strike Weight (SW) and Strike Weight Ratio (R) and the request for
>some clarification on what (SWR) was, I did go to David Stanwoods
>publication on the Touchweight Metrology where he writes in his
>Glossary of terms and abbreviations: Strike Weight (SW) and Strike
>Weight Ratio (R).
>Now Newton writes "that most of the information is in the archives
>written by David Standwood and attending a class on touch weight
>metrology will clear up the rest". And then uses the abbreviation
>(SRW) for Strike Weight Ratio.  Now I'll join you in the ranks of
>confusion and crawl back into my hole.  Gordon

David Stanwood's nomenclature as of 5/01, is slightly different. The
term for the expression of the overall action ratio (by weight,
that's what matters, right?) is Strike Balance Ratio (SBR). This may
sound more complicated, but in fact, it does a better job of
explaining itself. The overall action is seen as the ratio of how the
weight of the hammer head feels when measured by at the end of a
shank gets translated by the action's leverage, and as measured at
the front end of the key, as an inferred component of Balance Weight
(BW).

The chapter & verse is:
"STRIKE BALANCE WEIGHT (SBW) - The upward static force at the
measuring point resulting from the static weight of the hammer and
shank, leveraged through the shank, wippen, and key:  Found as:  TBW
- WBW".

Balance Weight (BW), the most immediately useful concept, is more
revealing than the preliminary measurement, DW. BW is deemed to
represent the weight (and by extension, mass) at a particular point
in the leverage of the action, as separate from the complementary
force of friction. Friction is immediately identified and set aside
for separate work. All further weight measurements are assumed to be
free of the force of friction. At this point, there is little which
can't be measured in this system of static weight measurements.

Bill Ballard RPT
NH Chapter, P.T.G.

"Listen, I've got one job on this ship. It's a STUPID job. But I'm
going to do it. ALL RIGHT?"
     ...........Sigourney Weaver in "Galaxy Quest"