Do Pianos Mature?

Wed, 15 May 2002 08:19:26 -0700

----- Original Message -----
From: "John Musselwhite" <john@musselwhite.com>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: May 14, 2002 1:26 PM
Subject: Do Pianos Mature?

> ________________________
>
> If I'm interpreting this correctly, after a rim is bent or a lever is
> loaded additional time-dependent deformation in that rim (rim creep?)
> continues to occur long past the time the rim becomes part of the case,
> going on for at least several years until it settles in to being a rim.
> While this period isn't specified I imagine it is highly dependent on the
> species from which the "member" is made, the manner in which the parts are
> joined and the kinds of stresses involved in the parts.
>
> It goes on to say that any structural members under stress, which I would
> take to be the inner and outer rims, beams, bridges and soundboards and
> even the wooden action parts, would be subject to creep of some kind.

Especially soundboards--and, most especially--soundboards that are by design
subjected to levels of compressions stress that exceed the structural
strength characteristics of the wood used.

See my Journal articles:
    The Mechanics & Strength of Wood & Wood Structures
       Part 1 - April 1996
       Part II - June 1996

And:
    Soundboard Damage - A Guide to Sound-board Cracks & Other Maladies
       Part I - December, 1997
       Part II - January, 1998
       Part III - February, 1998

Del