- Slipping Eye on bass string

John Delacour JD@Pianomaker.co.uk
Tue, 14 May 2002 21:55:35 +0100

At 2:42 pm -0300 14/5/02, John Ross wrote:

|But if the eye is made properly, the
| string would probably break before eye slipped.

Yes.

| Do most string makers buy the core wire with the eye already on the wire?

I've never heard of any stringmaker buying in eyed-up wire.

| Does this mean there is just one supplier?
|
| It appears that different suppliers of bass strings have had the same
| problem, even if they are in different countries.

It's probably simply that your supplier is using a third-rate stringmaker so that he can keep his cost down and charge you a price that is similar to the prices charged by proper stringmakers.  I know what the main English supplier buys a set of strings for and who from, and I wouldn't get out of bed to work for that rate, so they're welcome to the work.

If you buy direct from a good stringmaker, you'll be paying the proper price for a proper job.