Hammer tapering Jig

Roger Jolly baldyam@sk.sympatico.ca
Tue, 14 May 2002 10:13:27 +0000

>Agreed, but I don't care for off centered bores and would not exacerbate
the problem while tapering so I drill my own hammers and they are very
accurate.
>I don't understand, taking off equal amounts is in fact an exercise in
leaving the proper amount of hammer for weight control.

>David Koelzer
>DFW

Hi David,
           An off centre bore will leave you with a heavy, and a light
side, humidity changes will make the hammer want to lean to the heavy side,
causing hammer/string  fit to be erratic. It will also speed up centre pin
wear on the heavy side.

To try and minimize some of these problems, I am experimenting with a new
jig to taper the hammers, so the mass reduction cut is made parallel to the
shank. On angled hammers, this will remove felt, from the back of the
hammer on one side, and the front on the others.  The cut through the felt,
is only made to the bottom of the shoulder.

Another advantage to this type of cut. Better hammer and back check
clearance in the bass.

Regards Roger
Roger Jolly
Balwin Yamaha Piano Centres.