Hammer tapering Jig

Kdivad@AOL.COM Kdivad@AOL.COM
Tue, 14 May 2002 16:26:52 -0400

In a message dated Tue, 14 May 2002  3:39:45 PM Eastern Daylight Time, Newton Hunt <nhunt@optonline.net> writes:

>> I don't understand, taking off equal amounts is in fact an exercise in > leaving the proper amount of hammer for weight control.
>
>Variations in weight from one hammer to the next is caused by varying thickness
>of the hammer caused by the way they are separated after gluing on the felt.
>
>        Newton

I think I see where you are coming from now, I think you misunderstood my poorly worded statement, I meant equal amounts from each side of individual hammers, not as a set. In other words of course there are variences in weight between hammers, not just because of the varying thickness but the differences in weight of the moulding from one blank spliced to the next. I weigh each hammer individually and trim accordingly.  The beauty of this is that if the job doesn't pay for weighing each hammer you  can taper the entire set to the same thickness and it will do wonders for averaging out the weight differences between hammers.

David Koelzer
DFW