Hammer boring fit was: Re: TOOLS/Hide Glue, etc

Tue, 14 May 2002 07:14:19 -0700

Yes and no.  Glue generally operates best as a thin bonding layer.  However,
hot hide glue does have good gap filling properties.  Keep in mind, though,
I'm not talking about moving at the joint such that the hammer will fall off
the shank.  I usually bore to exact shank size and ream slightly to fit with
a minimum amount of play.  It would be nice if things were bored exactly.
But as careful as I am, with a fancy Renner boring jig, I still have the
slightest bit of correction to do sometimes.  I don't really consider it a
problem and hot hide glue (not cold hide) fills that small gap very nicely.

The thread also mentioned prebored hammers.  I think it is important to bore
them yourself for replacement.  Steinway has a standard bore that they use
and changes the angle only every 1.5 degrees.  I can't remember a Steinway
that would have matched that standard bore distance exactly and if you want
a smoother fan without reaming, you will have to change the angles more
frequently.

The message in this whole thread is really to bore them yourself.  It's not
hard and not expensive to set up for it.  Also, if you are doing tapering,
you will need to do it before tailing.  Prebored hammers from Steinway also
come tailed.  Prehung hammers are an even worse idea.  Hanging distance will
frequently vary with moving strike points.  All Steinway hammers a glued at
5 1/8".  It won't always work.

David Love