Damper Felt

Paul Chick (EarthLink) tune4@earthlink.net
Tue, 14 May 2002 06:48:38 -0500

List
I was called to tune a grand and fix "a ringing noise."  The piano turned
out to be a Chickering Quarter Grand, and the "ringing noise" came from the
dampers from the break on up, misaligned with the strings as if someone
tried to clean them or moved them inadvertantly. Now the tricord wedges are
distorted and will not sit correctly on the strings.  Does anyone have a
trick for straightening crooked wedge dampers without removing them?  These
are threaded damper wires and removal will be a challenge. Clearance is a
real problem, but I'll take them off if I have to. Oh, by the way, they're
using the piano for a wedding this Saturday.  Any ideas?

Thanks.

Paul Chick