hoisting straps?

Stan Kroeker stan@pianoexperts.mb.ca
Mon, 13 May 2002 20:48:05 -0500

Ratchet straps come with the dire warning that they are not to be used
for lifting.  I (and several colleagues) use them all the time for this
purpose, however.  In fact, I dedicated three of them exclusively for
lifting plates and cut the excess strap to minimize tangles during the lift.

I also cut three 30" lengths of used seatbelt webbing and had the ends
folded over and stitched by a shoe-maker (heavy duty thread and sewing
machine).  These make strong slings for the ratchet straps' hooks to
engage.  The beauty of this system, apart from being a one-person
operation, is that the ratchets enable you to quickly balance the plate
for a level lift.

Finally, consider protecting the inner rim during plate removal,
re-installation.  I made about 50 rim protectors out of aluminum
flashing, lined with inexpensive felt.  Each one is about 1 1/2" wide by
12" long.  They are clipped over the rim at about 3" intervals and
eliminate the scrapes that can occur during lifts.

Regards,

Stan Kroeker
Registered Piano Technician