Hammer tapering Jig

Greg Newell gnewell@ameritech.net
Mon, 13 May 2002 23:34:03 -0400

Susan,
         Thanks for the help! Maybe I'll try this. Funny though, I just
bought Bill's jig not more than a year or two ago. Is his new one that new?
Mine looks like the one pictured on the web page. I'll reread this post
during the day when my heads a little clearer. Right now .... it's bed time.

Greg

At 07:28 PM 5/13/2002, you wrote:
>At 05:38 PM 5/13/2002 -0400, you wrote:
>>Greetings listees,
>>         Sometime ago we were talking about hammer tapering jigs and I
>> remember a post from Jon Page (I think) who had a design whereby you
>> could taper the tail while it is on the shank. This is impossible with
>> Bill Spurlock's jig
>
>It's only impossible on his old jig, which I built from his plans. His new
>jig allows you to shape tails of either mounted or unmounted hammers. I
>built another, where the swinging piece accommodates a mounted hammer and
>shank. It has worked wonders for me on three or four actions by now.
>
>Make the rotating piece just like the one you already have, except the
>dowel it hangs on has to be shorter. Instead of inserting a little piece
>of hammer shank in the end, rout a slot down the length of it, flush with
>the little shelf on the end where the hammer rests. The shoulders of the
>"working end" are chamfered back, just like the other jig, to allow for
>the hammer felt. At the far end, away from the hammer, rout out one of the
>sides to accommodate the knuckle.
>
>Try it, you'll like it.
>
>Susan

Greg Newell