A positive Post for Steinway/Hexagonal Shanks/Cunningham Pianos Question

Joseph Garrett joegarrett@earthlink.net
Mon, 13 May 2002 19:06:53 -0700

With all due respect, back atcha!
In my original post, I stated that I had done tests that showed me that the
Hexagonal shanks do change the tone. This tone change was in the direction I
didn't like. It is my personal opinion that the maximum wall for volume of
pianos has been reached. Even though, our population is getting deafer and
the noise levels are increasing, the only thing that can be added to the
Piano is a brassier, harsher tone. IMO, this is were the current consensus
of "improvements" by the manufacturers is wrong. They somehow equate Loud,
Shrill, Clanky, Jangely, etc., with carrying power and it is my opinion that
this just aint so.  So, I LIKE ROUND SHANKS! Besides the Hexagonal shanks
have more mass/weight than round. The one thing that, almost everyone is
talking about, is reducing mass and increasing playability. The Hexagonal
shanks are just one cog in the wheel, IMHO. I hope this answers your
question of why.
Regards,
Joe Garrett, RPT, (Oregon)