double flanges

Clair Dunn cadunn@vt2000.com
Mon, 13 May 2002 05:40:21 -0500 (CDT)

Hi--
Having recently tried to order upright double flanges from Schaff and
APSCO (now really Schaff) to no avail, (discontinued items), I wonder
if anyone has tried to modify the double flanges for Steinway, to fit
a regular upright. Looking at the pictures, my instinct would say to
file down the ridges and, if necessary shim the new flat part.

Just wondering if anyone has tried this? I'm going to try to acquire
one at tonight's PTG meeting and experiment. I have a gorgeous old
Decker Bros. that's going to get the full treatment. All the flanges
are there and working right now, but who knows what will happen
during reconditioning :) I also have a customer with this same style
piano.

These flanges were one of the things I bought 3 of when I was
starting out-- now I'm down to 2 and getting nervous.

Thanks much.
Clair

--
Clair's Piano Service