Tuning Curves

Mon, 13 May 2002 09:19:48 +0200

Roy Peters wrote:

> Richard.
> Thanks for providing some food for thought.  First of all, I assume you are
> using TL97 instead of TLPro?   I tried your method today.     The trouble I had
> was in getting a good reading of the 3rd partial of E6.

Hey there Roy. Getting a clear reading on the 3rd of E6 can be difficult for sure.
You'll find its about 25 to 30 cents high. But if you half mute with the back of
your fingernail, you can get the 3rd harmonic to sound pretty loudly and and ETD
will pick that up just dandy.

> So, what I did was to
> follow your procedure to set up the section from D3 - A4 using the 3rd
> partial.   Then I tuned E6 to the 3rd partial of A4.

Yes, this is what I do to get E6 tuned, but then I switch to the 3rd partial of E6
to get a reference point there.
I find tho that I like to tune the area from A#4 to E6 by referencing what Tunelab
has calculated for the 3rd partials  D#4 to  A4, and then just continue the process
up.

> Switched the note display
> to the 1st partial of E6 and adjusted the offset to stop the blocks.  Entered
> the reference.  Returned A4 to the 1st partial with 0 offset in the reference.
> Then set A4 to E6 using the 1st partial.    I didn't actually try the tuning,
> but had fun playing around.

Tune Lab is great for fooling around like this when you get the time. Try tuning in
this fashion once or twice to see what you come up with. It consumes a bit more time
then otherwise, but its interesting.

> Roy Peters, RPT
> Cincinnati, Ohio

Cheers