Pinblocks and o/s pins

Bill Ballard yardbird@pop.vermontel.net
Sun, 12 May 2002 22:50:55 -0400

At 8:42 PM -0400 5/12/02, HazenBannister@cs.com wrote:
I have never plugged a block.What is the expense,material wise,and
where do you buy them?In an upright,how do you know if the block will
stand being plugged,without removing the plate?

Most of us wouldn't make that determination without removing the
plate. More obvious signs of deterioration can be seen beneath the
plate, but many important signs will be hidden until the plate gets
lifted out.

Whatever has been weakening the tuning pin holes has also been
working on entire panel (along with everything else in the piano.
Check for high watermarks). Sometimes you don't have to pull the
plate to decide that the block is gone. But if you're going to plug
it, it'll be alot cleaner with the plate out. Who knows, on this one
you might want to refinish the board, at  least wash the birdwhite
off it. Count on some board regluing. Pull the plate.

Bill Ballard RPT
NH Chapter, P.T.G.

"Trust me, you've got all the equipment, You just need to read the manual"
     ...........Reese Witherspoon in "Legally Blonde"

A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: not available
Type: text/enriched
Size: 1103 bytes