U1 bass strings

Clyde Hollinger cedel@supernet.com
Sun, 12 May 2002 21:15:14 -0400

Hazen,

I would like to add my voice to Newton's much more experienced one.  I
can certainly understand that you want to put in a new set of strings,
but if nothing else changes, you may find breaking strings a chronic
problem in the new set as well.  Now *that* would be a bummer!  Newton
gave suggestions on reducing the power.  I suggest you follow at least
some of them.

I tune a small Young Chang grand (in a church) that had many repaired
strings before I began servicing the piano.  Now it's down to maybe one
string a year.  Since I didn't decrease the hammer blow power at all, I
assume there is a new pianist who doesn't beat the tar out of the piano,
quite as much anyway.

Sometimes variables like that never filter down to the piano technician,
who may only ever speak with the church secretary.  (In this case it may
also have been an incompetent piano tooner.  I never saw so many
nasty-looking string coils in my life in one piano, either before or
since!)

Regards,
Clyde Hollinger, RPT
Lititz, PA, USA