Hand Made

John Musselwhite john@musselwhite.com
Sun, 12 May 2002 15:40:43 -0600

At 09:16 PM 12/05/02 +0200, Richard wrote:

> > Certainly they are... much more. But they *are* mechanical devices that are
> > subject to wear in places that aren't easily or inexpensively repaired.
>
>Ok... grin.. so you got my curiousity up for a bit of clarification
>here.  I wonder
>if you might expound a bit on some *mechanical*  elements of pianos that
>are not
>*easily or inexpensively* repaired.

About the only thing easily and cheaply repaired on a piano are the rubber
buttons and they aren't too mechanical. Even a simple thing like front and
balance key bushings costs as much as a reasonable Japanese guitar and you
can buy a genuine CF Martin guitar in a hard-shell case for what a set of
hammers and shanks installed on a grand costs.

Speaking of guitars, I just had a new bone nut and saddle installed on one
of my acoustics. It took the luthier about an hour and cost me $75. Easy
and cheap for a repair that made a world of difference to it.

Incidentally, you could buy a new inexpensive piano for what that guitar is
worth. I'd hate to have to pay to fix the bridges on it though.

                 John

John Musselwhite, RPT    -     Calgary, Alberta Canada
http://www.musselwhite.com  http://canadianpianopage.com/calgary
Pianotech IRC chats Tuesday and Thursday nights and Sunday Mornings
http://www.bigfoot.com/~kmvander/ircpiano.html