PianoDisc technology question

Carl Meyer cmpiano@attbi.com
Fri, 10 May 2002 16:26:04 -0700

There have been several posts about the pianocorder and recording music for the many now present player units.

Here is the history as I see it.  I may be incorrect in some of the details, but here goes.

Some engineers working for Teledyne in Tennessee developed an electronic reproducing piano.  It was marketed with limited success with some problems.

Joseph Tushinski of Superscope being a player piano buff and the owner of 18000 reproducing piano rolls bought the product and through cleaning up the design and promoting the product and training classes put it on the market.  The sales forecast was 50000 unit per year (sales were less than 20000 for the life of the product of about15 years).

I attempted to get a dealership since I had a strong interest in pianos and had a good electronic background. I was given the bums rush.  They only wanted to deal with large piano and organ stores.  After that failed miserably, they reduced their requirements and gave anybody a dealership that could buy 2 units and a 200 dollar spare parts kit.  I qualified for that.

I made a decent living installing them during the next few years.  I had developed better techniques to install them for better performance and concentrated on weird antique pianos such as Viennese grands etc.  I was still working in the corporate world part time.

Joseph Tushinski became senile and then died.  It was common knowledge that the financial management of Superscope hated the pianocorder since it was Joe's hobby and did not produce enough profits considering the problems associated with the product.

Superscope then lost a significant amount of money and was facing bankruptcy.  It was bought out by another large company that I can't remember the name of.  It was this company that sold the Pianocorder division to Yamaha.

It's my understanding that Yamaha had attempted to buy the patents for the pianocorder.  They really wanted the copyrights to the music.  The company said "We won't sell
you the patents, but we'll sell you the whole division"
That's what happened.

Yamaha then flew some of their executives to North Carolina to visit the factory they'd just bought.  Lo and behold! There was no factory.  The independent company that had been producing the product had already filed bankruptcy and the building had been sold and  Yamaha then had to get the inventory out of there.

At the Toronto natl convention I had a Yamaha employee ensure me that Yamaha would continue to market the Pianocorder (I won't give his name to protect the guilty).  Us dealers that had been in limbo for several months then were informed that the product would be discontinued and inventory would be sold to existing dealers until liquidated.

An aquantenace of mine that had worked for Pianocorder was hired as a consultant to Yamaha to convert the music to midi to be compatible to Disklavier.  He told me "It's easy to convert pianocorder to midi, but it's hard to get it to sound good."  They are two totally different systems.

The pianocorder system used a scheme similar to the duoart.  An expression signal was produced for the bass and another for the treble.  Midi uses an expression value for each note played.  I was told that even though the copyrights for the pianocorder were owned that to release the same music in a different format (Midi) required a new release.

Pianocorder initially released 300 45 minute cassettes of music.  Most of this was transcribed from Joe's piano rolls.  I'm sure they were transcribe by various people.  Some of this music was not bad, but some was not so good.  I think this was because the response of pneumatic devices is similar in turn on and turn off.  A solenoid turns on quickly, but turns off (drops out) slowly due to the energy stored in the inductance.  I've measured this to be about 40 milliseconds of delay.  Expression was limited on some cassettes to prevent loss of notes.

Later some celebrity series were released that were head and shoulders better due to better techniques.  For instance, Liberace was recorded digitally as well as auditory and then a skilled musician edited the digital to sound as much like the audio a possible.  There were 12 cassettes released with this technique.  Most were superb.

As for recording, that is a difficult job to do.  I had a pianocorder set up with a record feature and had Joanne Castle make a recording on it .  She did Lara's theme.  At first it did okay, but when she got fancy the system just lost it.

It was a simple minded system to do an extremely difficult job.
When piano disk or pianomation say they are midi compatible, that doesn't mean it will sound good unless the music was created for the system it is to be played on.  A solenoid player system has an inherent threshold below which there will be no sound.  Remember that a pneumatic player system has the maximum power at the beginning of the stroke, but a solenoid has the maximum power at the end of the stroke.  This means that a solenoid must be given an additional burst of power to get it to move and then it's not easy to slow it down.  Combine this with the severe loss of power due to heat in the winding of the solenoid, and is it any wonder that expression at low volume is hard to achieve in an electronic system?

I won't service the record portion of the pianocorder.  It's not worth it.  I prefer to remove it if the customer will agree.

Converting a piano cd to play on a player is not feasible.  That's why it isn't available.  It's two completely different concepts.

By the way,  I've probably got the largest supply of pianocorder parts west of the Mississippi.

Carl Meyer  Assoc. PTG
Santa Clara, California
cmpiano@attbi.com