HTs/Exam

Fri, 10 May 2002 07:13:15 -0700

Do people who tune aurally actually count beat rates?  I never did.  Since
the beat rate of, for example, the F3-A3 third will vary slightly from piano
to piano, it is more important to be able to hear how rates compare to each
other and to discern certain relationships like 4:5.  Setting up a piano by
a using a strict set of beat rates for a certain interval won't always work
(at least in ET).  Beat rate counters such as Sanders makes are nice as
training tools and to get you in the ballpark, but it's the ability to hear
the relationships that will ultimately get you where you're going.

David Love