"The Question"

Jason Kanter jkanter@rollingball.com
Fri, 10 May 2002 05:52:18 -0700

"Ma'am, I'm delighted that you feel like you've received good value. You
could pay me more if you want, but even more important to me is for you to
keep this piano tuned. So why don't we schedule the next tuning right now?"

|| ||| || ||| || ||| || ||| || ||| || ||| || ||| || |||
jason kanter * piano tuning * piano teaching
bellevue, wa * 425 562 4127 * cell 425 831 1561
orcas island * 360 376 2799
|| ||| || ||| || ||| || ||| || ||| || ||| || ||| || |||

From: "Farrell" <mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com>
Date: Fri, 10 May 2002 07:54:12 -0400
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Subject: "The Question"

Yesterday I spent 12 hours yesterday installing an electric add-on motor to
an old upright player, filing hammers, full basic regulation (half the
hammers were multiple striking), fix few action parts and keys, pitch raise
180 cents, tune. Lady was as happy as a pig in .......a nice barn. Figure
10.5 hours at my normal hourly rate (zap 1.5 hours for lunch, dinner and
chit-chat). Give lady bill.

And then the dreaded QUESTION: "Are you sure that's enough honey?"

Now I probably knocked a half-hour off her bill that, arguably, I could have
charged her for......... There are times where you have trimmed the price
just a bit. Is there any response to this question other than: "Oh, no,
that's fine, that's just what it works out to."

I'm really kinda (only kinda though!) kidding that if feel this is a big
concern. But it sure does make you wonder sometimes!

Terry Farrell