Just Intervals?

Fri, 10 May 2002 06:12:56 -0500

list,

>Is it possible to have a violinist play and read his note placement on an
>ETD and record their deviation from ET and select
>a suitable temperament to accompany his playing?. . . Or would that be too
>large an undertaking, bearing in mind playing
>in different key signatures.   Just a thought
>Jon Page,

With all due respect to the musicianship of string players... (I have a
pavlovian response to 'cello music, having grown up with one)

The vibrato is the greatest fudge factor ever invented. At what point in
the hemidemisemiwaverquavering would an ETD read pitch?? The cents
deviation covers a LOT of territory.

If a string player thinks they are flat, they roll their vibrato more
toward the bridge and vice
versa.

(testing experimental flamesuits, again...)

Conrad Hoffsommer - Music Technician -mailto:hoffsoco@luther.edu
Luther College, 700 College Drive, Decorah, Iowa 52101-1045
Voice-(563)-387-1204  //  Fax (563)-387-1076(Dept.office)