Just Intervals?

Bill Ballard yardbird@pop.vermontel.net
Thu, 9 May 2002 23:14:30 -0400

At 8:45 PM -0400 5/9/02, Jon Page wrote:
>Is it possible to have a violinist play and read his note placement
>on an ETD and record their deviation >from ET and select a suitable
>temperament to accompany his playing?. . . Or would that be too
>large an >undertaking, bearing in mind playing in different key
>signatures.   Just a thought

All that would be required is for any of the ETD engineers to develop
a software plug-in which could assemble a string (array, actually) of
digitized tone already store on disk, which could then be measured
for interval width, inharmonicity, partial strengths, etc. The same
ETD which sample the real sound could measure it. You could even pull
separate pitches from a fast string of notes, marking them out on a
greatly magnified scale (pun unavoidable).

As far as a musician's study of intonation, this could be the next
generation up from the Korg AT's.

Bill Ballard RPT
NH Chapter, P.T.G.

"Round here we don't talk unless we can improve on the silence."
     ...........Ron Rude, local Public Radio Commentator.