Just Intervals?

Mmeade1pno@AOL.COM Mmeade1pno@AOL.COM
Thu, 9 May 2002 18:39:35 EDT

Exactly my point! String players (generally) believe that a "just" major
third is wider than tempered. Therefore, many performances of Bach Partitas
and suites are done in these wider than tempered major thirds, including my
own teacher! This seems impossible, but it is true. I observed a rehearsal of
the Juilliard Quartet, the mentors for most American ensembles, in which
every time a third seemed out of tune, they attempted to fix it by raising
the third  (really high) to make it "pure".

                                               Will talk some more,
                                               Michael Meade, RPT