K52 damper felt on an 1883 model F

Joseph Garrett joegarrett@earthlink.net
Wed, 8 May 2002 21:32:03 -0700

I have always made the dampers for these beasts/really great sounding
pianos. It does take more time but can be accomplished without too much
fuss. I get the damper boards from the "Model" shop. It's the same thickness
or there abouts and is plywood! Which, IMO, is better, because it adds just
a bit of weight/density and is very well made. (No blows, etc.) As for the
"under felt" I use nameboard felt, guillotined to size and glued on with hot
hide glue. It is best to reproduce the original design, on these
instruments, IMO.
Regards,
Joe Garrett, RPT, (Oregon)