yamaha parts

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@KSCABLE.com
Wed, 08 May 2002 22:33:14 -0500

>Yes it is true. Yes it is poor business, IMHO.
>
>Terry Farrell
>
>> Hi list,
>>   If we have a customer who bought a yamaha piano(grey market as they call
>> it),from an individual,just like someone would buy one out of the
>> paper,etc...,why are they to be penalized,and not be able to receive parts
>> for it.Someone told me that this is the case now,if the serial number is'nt
>> an American number I guess,does anyone know about this.If true,what's
>> next?Can people in Japan not get parts for an American made piano,if they
>buy
>> here and move there?Is this a ploy to erase all used pianos, to sell new
>> ones?I hope everyone does'nt start this.
>> Hazen Bannister

Hazen, Terry,
I'm not so sure this is a bad thing, or poor business. It's not that far
removed from an individual tech turning down what he/she perceives to be a
high probability no-win service call over the phone, bypassing the high
probability of wasting more time than the realized income will compensate
for. Putting yourself in Yamaha's place (like Yamaha was really only one
pitiful guy with nothing better to do than read this stuff), how enthused
would you be about in any way supporting a product that was being used in a
venue far removed from the one for which it was intended, designed, and
built? Oh yes, Mr. Jones, we at Shavers' Chisel and Aromatic Hydrocarbon
are fully sympathetic to your reported difficulties in using our Mark III
high precision shaving chisel for trimming concrete blocks, pursuant to
your construction of a backyard barbecue. We feel that asking you to accept
our apologies for so heinous a service shortcoming is inexcusable.
Consequently, and compensatorially, we are sending you a fully functional
clone of Michelangelo Bounarroti at no additional charge. He is yours to
keep, his talents and skills to be used in whatever capacity you deem
appropriate toward the completion of your project. We trust that this will
prove to be adequate indication of our good faith and appropriate
compensation for any inconvenience resulting in your attempted use of a
product in a capacity for which it was never intended.

With all due protocol and euphemistic obfuscation,

Ron N