CBS years at S&S was improvements

John Musselwhite john@musselwhite.com
Wed, 08 May 2002 15:21:17 -0600

At 06:43 PM 07/05/02 +0200, Richard B. wrote:

> > (and to some extent still needs) was the "customizing" in the touch and
> > tone that new Steinways have always needed, plus a few years of playing for
> > it to mature.                  John
> >

>Here we have this "mature" concept again. Despite all the scientific
>explainations why this can not be so... time and time again people have this
>observation that instruments can get better as they get older.

With all due respect, you missed the point, Richard. Shortly before they
were made (compared to their expected lifetime) the components of the piano
were living trees and grazing sheep and other animals. There's a joke with
some new pianos that says something about them being so new there are still
leaves still growing from the parts.

I think we're all aware that new pianos have to settle and adjust, and new
fine pianos and especially the traditionally-made one we're discussing have
to be customized to some extent to the new owner's hearing and the piano's
location and use.  After a few years of  tuning and regulating and the
parts have all stabilized the piano is about as "mature" as it's going to
get. As we all know, mechanically and tonally it's pretty-much downhill
from there until it's rebuilt, hopefully again and again.

Some other manufacturers offer instant gratification in their pianos, with
nice consistent reasonably-priced instruments that are already (supposedly)
forced into maturity. Many even contain space-age parts that are inherently
dimensionally stable so we don't need to regulate them as often either.
After they've suffered the same slings and arrows as other instruments you
can just get another that is identical to the original since it's almost
cheaper to do that than rebuild them, at least, with their myriad
"standard" models.

I suppose it's different with those other manufacturer's high-end pianos
that are meant to actually compete with Steinway and others of their ilk.
They are (from what I understand) made in laboratories rather than
factories, with teams of their best and most dedicated engineers and
craftsmen working on every instrument for as long as it takes to ensure
their idea of perfection is realized rather than being made piecework by
unionized workers. Considering the staggering costs of building a piano in
this fashion, I imagine they would have to support this not by charging a
fair price for what the pianos actually  cost to build and market, but with
the profits from their other pianos popping off the assembly lines every
few minutes.

It must be nice to have that kind of luxury.

                 John