1969 Steinway L CBS?

Bigeartb@AOL.COM Bigeartb@AOL.COM
Tue, 7 May 2002 23:54:45 EDT

Hello Ya'll:
     The church just received a 1969 Steinway L....beautiful walnut case
...terrible, terrible touch......Mushy, no power, damper pedal extremely hard
to depress... uneven tone quality.
QUESTION ...is this a CBS Piano????
 So far here are the problems:   The keyframe  was not bedded. In fact it
took 3/4 of a turn before the balance rail studs even touched the keybed.
Hammer stroke...1/3/8 inch...a little shy...Key dip... thickness of keytop
shy of 3/8" Plus 10 to 15 front rail paper punchings on each note. Keys not
level but set correctly on each end 2 21/32" keybed to top of key.
QUESTION....surely the factory didn't do this....did they???? The piano was
bought new and stayed here in Decatur all it's life. I do not believe any
technician...there's only one other one here...readjusted this piano but it's
hard for me to believe Steinway would sell this piano. The piano hardly plays
the way it is set up ,which of course, is a miracle it plays at all. I
cleaned the gummy graphit from the damper pedal assy. and it depresses a
little, little more freely. I also made sure the damper wires were free.
However, the damper system seems hard to depress.  Any suggestions????  I am
taking care of the hammer situation, cleaning the repetition level system of
gummy graphit, and of course bedding the keyframe and redoing the entire
keybed, leveling, keydip etc. I am completely regulating the action.
     I am surprised by the shallowness of the key dip, the keyframe not
bedded and the shallow hammer blow. I am concerned about the damper system
and how to free it up. Of course the piano has teflon bushings.
     As always, thank you guys and girls for your help . I'm  just an
associate who is still learning cause I ain't real good....yet.

Tommy Black
Decatur, Ala.