strings -- buzzing, ringing

Charles Neuman piano@charlesneuman.net
Tue, 7 May 2002 20:36:46 -0400 (EDT)

> From: "Isaac OLEG SIMANOT" <oleg-i@wanadoo.fr>
>
> I've always been wondering how you can expect to learn this kind
> of trade with a course. Don't you try to find some place in town (piano
> shop, or a kind repair shop) where you could have a real training and
> someone correcting you ?

Hi Isaac,

Thanks for your comments.

About the course, I have learned much more than I expected. Still, I agree
with you that I also need to have some hands-on experience and training.
That's why I'm going to Chicago and am taking just about every hands-on
course possible, including voicing tutoring, tuning tutoring, action
regulation, etc. I think I'll learn a lot. I might also consider some
training from a technician in my area if I need to.

Maybe other people can comment about whether they think Randy Potter
graduates are well-trained (WT!). I'm sure they have all had hands-on
experience and training in addition to the course.

Also, some things I ask about on this list are covered in the course, but
I am exposed to different opinions and techniques on this list. I like to
have more than one opinion, so it's really helpful to hear everyone's
ideas.

Charles