strings -- buzzing, ringing

Isaac OLEG SIMANOT oleg-i@wanadoo.fr
Tue, 7 May 2002 23:53:20 +0200

Charles,

It is for help the string to render better and tune better.

When corroded , before a pitch raise, I've been told that WD40 helps to
break the corrosion spot that stick the two metals together, even been said
that it will not hurt on bass strings, and the rare case I used it it
worked. The problem with that product is that it attract dirt and the
hammers will soon look dirty if you clean the strings with a rag and WD40.
Beside, if the strings are so rusty, it can probably help to stop the
corrosion (but the dirt on the strings will not help the sound and need
frequent cleaning)

On a lightly corroded piano (or only bad rendering strings), I use a bit of
CLP and it helps a lot.

Are not these things covered in the Randy Potter course ?

About that, I've always been wondering how you can expect to learn this kind
of trade with a course. Don't you try to find some place in town (piano
shop, or a kind repair shop) where you could have a real training and
someone correcting you ?

 Particularly for tuning, it is very difficult once you have bad habits to
get rid of them.

Beside, we all make more or less experiments on the customers piano, even
the one which are really trained are obliged to reinvent themselves methods
that where not learned at the training moment, but having a good base make
the error more forgiving I believe.

I am not really ranting about that, as even officially trained techs are
possibly not working kindly, but we may remember that big box is a musical
instrument too and can produce amazing good tone and touch if treated by
somebody who knows.

I worked for 12 years in the trade (4 years in shops, 4 years believing I
was a piano tech and doing so so-so that I preferred stop, then 4 years in
concert& rental tuning)  and now I really began to learn this fabulous
Kraft, so you see, I don't believe in these courses alone.
Beside, having a good hands-on course and theory is probably very useful if
you can obtain even a little training from a real production place.

Good luck, and all the best.

Isaac OLEG