strings -- buzzing, ringing

Tue, 07 May 2002 22:31:05 +0200

Charles Neuman wrote:

> > From: Richard Brekne <Richard.Brekne@grieg.uib.no>
> > >
> > > Have you encountered string problems that you can't fix?
> >
> > Yes
>
> Interesting. So what do you do?

Grin... usually I say something like.... #%&/#/S(/F!!!!.  And then tell the
customer that I cant improve on this particular tone unless I tear the whole
thing apart and put it back together again.

> I forgot to ask about lubrication. I noticed in the archives some people
> were talking about lubricating the v-bar with center pin lubricant. What's
> the purpose for that?

Thats generally for letting the string move back and forth over the contact
surfaces easier, and isnt really related to string buzzes. Tho when you first
mention it I once knew a fellow who advocated the use of sewing machine oil on
Grand agraffes and capos for string noises. He made a big point of not useing
it on uprights, and I dont personally recommend oil on either.

> Thanks for your comments,
>
> Charles

Cheers !

--