442 & back

Steve Kabat s.kabat@csuohio.edu
Tue, 07 May 2002 13:49:29 -0400

David- Obviously some educating is in order, to try to instruct people who feel that a higher pitch is needed. Other than that , I would:
        a. refuse to tune at a higher pitch, citing structural piano reasons, tuning stability
            etc.
        b.  insist that they give a few days lead time so that the piano can stabilize, and             refuse to do it if they dont.
        c. charge them a lot of money extra for all the hassle you have to endure so that         one group in a million can have pitch set 2 cycles per second higher.
        I'm sorry, but I have little tolerance for this coddling of artists who mistake pitch
            for brilliance or timbre.  We as tuners need to educate them and insist on a
            standard or else much much compensation for our trouble.  I had a group
            from Germany come to my school - I think they wanted 443 believe it or not,
            and I broke the F# string above the bass/tenor break for my troubles.  Yes. it
            does affect even a nine-foot concert grand.
            steve kabat