CBS years at S&S was improvements

John Musselwhite john@musselwhite.com
Tue, 07 May 2002 10:00:37 -0600

At 01:21 AM 05/05/02 -0400, Dale wrote:

>>     The way I heard was that although many design flaws were allowed in
>> the action
>>dept. etc. S&S was actually kept a float by CBS as they pumped a huge
>>amount of capital into it to keep it a float.

Had they been building a better piano at the time they may not have had
that problem, which incidentally was repeated with Fender. Mind you, CBS
did have to upgrade a lot of the ancient equipment so to be fair they did
put money into the company.

>>Also I don't agree about the pianos from the cbs years as some of the
>>best  sounding boards/sound that ever came out of the factory at least to
>>my ear that I've witnessed. Lousy actions and damper systems but many
>>good sounding cases.

I can't argue with that, just as I can't argue with all the good sounding
cases they're producing now.  Some people think they all should be perfect,
but you don't get perfection in an instrument of this kind, at least in a
plain-case piano.  I would expect more detailing in an art-case or even
exotic veneered piano, which is usually what I've found, but if you are
looking for something closer to perfection in design and execution you need
to double the price.

>>Yes ,I too get my best raw material from the company and Long live the
>>King/ Queen so to speak and may they provide us salvageable carcasses for
>>years to come. Like your slant. Works for me.

Thanks. I want to make it clear that I like their new pianos too though,
and don't consider the vast majority of them to be mere "carcasses" by any
stretch of the imagination. I've been fortunate enough to be able to
inspect about 30 new Steinways in the last few months in various places and
while I didn't go over them with a micrometer they all appeared to be very
nicely built and played reasonably well for hand-made performance pianos
left sitting on a few different sales floors rather than having been
detailed where they'll ultimately end up.

Maybe this is an exception but for example, I look after a 1999 B that I
think is going to be a killer piano in a couple of years. All it needed
(and to some extent still needs) was the "customizing" in the touch and
tone that new Steinways have always needed, plus a few years of playing for
it to mature. By the time the owner's toddlers are in school and "mom" has
time to practice regularly again it'll be a fine piano. By the time they go
off to University and they've all been taking lessons on it people will be
reminiscing about the wonderful times they had with it. By the time they
inherit it the piano will still be ready for the next generation and the
cycle will start again. I've seen this repeated with Steinways enough times
in other families to know that there's something more to it that just hype.

                 John

John Musselwhite, RPT    -     Calgary, Alberta Canada
http://www.musselwhite.com  http://canadianpianopage.com/calgary
Pianotech IRC chats Tuesday and Thursday nights and Sunday Mornings
http://www.bigfoot.com/~kmvander/ircpiano.html