Soundboard-to-Rim Clamp Pressure

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@KSCABLE.com
Tue, 07 May 2002 07:20:04 -0500

>I have come to the understanding that application of proper pressure when
>gluing the rib to the panel is very important for a glue joint of maximum
>strength and longevity. Makes sense to me. I should think the
>soundboard-to-rim clamping pressure would be as critical. I might be
>inclined to think that optimal pressure would be similar for this joint as
>the rib to panel joint (40 to 50 psi).
>
>How in the world does one turn a screw on a clamp and feel comfortable that
>he/she has applied enough, but not too much, pressure? How about a little
>pressure gauge in each clamping block? Or is there a better way?
>
>Terry Farrell

It's just as critical, or not, in anything you glue together. How do you
assess proper clamping pressure in any other instance? It's a piece of
relatively soft wood. Treat it like wood. Snug it down, don't crush it to
half it's original thickness, wipe off the glue squeeze-out, and get on
with it - just like with any other piece of wood. Why would a soundboard
panel be any different from anything else? The magic, in my experience, is
in the design, not in the mystic gesticulation.

That's not to say that wearing that tall pointy hat with the stars and
moons wouldn't be fun. Making brooms haul water, and such.

Ron N