Question for Ron Nossaman Re: Pinblocks

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@KSCABLE.com
Mon, 06 May 2002 16:00:00 -0500

>Ron:
>
>Do you still use the pilot hole technique when drilling pinblocks?  Does
>that change the feed speed philosophy because of less heating up of the bit?
>
>David Love

David,
Yes, and yes. I drill 0.25" first, without paying any particular attention
to feed speed or bit temperature. I don't smoke it, or turn the bit blue,
but a couple of thousandths variation in the size of that first hole won't
matter a bit (sorry). The second pass reaming on size will not heat the bit
enough to be a problem. Delignit is too dense for me to get good uniformity
drilling in one pass, at least with any of the tricks I've tried. Double
drilling takes a little longer, but the uniformity is much improved with no
other special technique.

Ron N