Selection of the proper drill bit for any pin block

Joseph Garrett joegarrett@earthlink.net
Mon, 6 May 2002 00:19:14 -0700

All,
There is always some scrap left over after cutting the block to dimension.
Use that to drill various holes with various drill bits. Be sure to be VERY
exact in your procedure, ie drill each different bit hole the same. Same
amount of cooling, same amount of plunge speed, etc. That's a must. If you
are using pin driving fluid, then use it on each sample. Then drive the
pins, (making sure they are all the EXACT same size), and get out your
trusty torque wrench, calibrated in INCH POUNDS. Consult the chart for
proper torque required and go with the best one. Not really rocket science,
but it works for me. I should say that I have found each block to be just
slightly different, hence a different bit for each one. Also, make darned
sure the bit is sharp!
Best Regards,
Joe Garrett, RPT, (Oregon)