to A442 & back(D)

Don pianotuna@accesscomm.ca
Sun, 05 May 2002 13:30:34 -0600

Hi Terry,

The problem for floating pitch is where do you measure? Do you pick what
you believe is the most stable string for this instrument? Or do you always
measure only at A4? Is it dependant on the time of year? I.E. winter to
summer pitch will generally rise and visa versa.

If you choose the A4 approach then it may be possible to cause plastic
deformation on the bass strings, without you even realizing it if you are
going from dry to wet.

If you choose the "most stable" string then you may well be lowering some
notes in the wet season by 25 cents, while raising the top end a similar or
even greater amount depending on the design of the instrument.

I'm a fan of humidity control as you probably know for these and other
reasons.

As to the original thread if I change pitch 2 cents on a D at A4 it is too
much for the standard of tuning I demand of myself for concert level work.

At 09:57 AM 5/5/02 -0400, you wrote:
>But for stability sake, what do you do when a home console is above or
below A440?

>If it is above, I generally leave it (unless I am aware they NEED it at
A440). If it is flat - even one cent - I tune the piano at A440. I just
figure a small nudge each time if it needs it to keep it at A440 is better
than letting it slide flatter and flatter and then need to do a significant
pitch raise. No? Yes?

>Terry Farrell

Regards,

mailto:pianotuna@accesscomm.ca