Marpurg-Kirnberger-Bach

Bradley M. Snook bsnook@pacbell.net
Sun, 05 May 2002 16:12:31 -0700

What is the deal with all the "old" performers as examples of current performance practices (especially all the dead ones)? Here, I will give you a good example of current performance practices: Hilary Hahn plays Bach. Listen to that an you will see how violinists use just intervals to make everything sound in-tune (i.e. really beautiful); they also have the ability to stretch these intervals to increase the musical expression/tension. Playing intervals with really good intonation is very difficult without masking the problem with too much vibrato, but Hahn does a pretty good job by today's standards.

I guess I do not understand how you are calculating your melodic (string) temperament, but I am really interested to understand what you are talking about. I know it bothers you when I mention anything about my education, but that is one issue that I am dealing with in my thesis. If I have completely missed something about string intonation, it would be nice to have it corrected before its published. I'm all ears . . .

Bradley M. Snook

P.S. The M. stands for my Middle name.