Marpurg-Kirnberger-Bach

Bradley M. Snook bsnook@pacbell.net
Sun, 05 May 2002 13:27:27 -0700

Susan: Bach and I, we like wide major thirds ...

I don't think you should feel so comfortable assuming that Bach liked wide major thirds. Much of Bach's keyboard music would have used meantone: more thirds that remain [close] to pure. It is possible that towards the end of his life Bach may have started a preference towards using a WT, but to assume that he changed his overall preference towards the sound of wide thirds is a real stretch (no pun intended).

It is plausible that he thought WT, with the wide thirds, was simply a better solution than MT. The same is true for EQT, it would be wrong to assume that people actually enjoy the sound of all the different beating intervals. The fact is that EQT allows us to do things for which HT do not allow.

The problem with HT is that there is very little evidence to prove that 'this' composer used 'this' temperament for 'this' piece. The only thing we can do is gather as much information as possible, use a bit of logic, and try to reconstruct the past to the best of our abilities. However, there are just some things that we just should not assume.

Susan: Ah, so you're trying to tell me that Bach preferred wide major thirds on his keyboards, but wanted violinists to play with narrow ones?

You should not consider a just major thirds as narrow; a narrow M3 implies an interval that is smaller than just. Again, I don't think that it is approperate to assume that Bach preferred wide major thirds. Susan, the keyboard has problems that strings do not have to deal with: fixed temperament. When strings and piano play together, sure, we have to do our best to make the approperate adjustments. But I have avoided talking about strings and piano together, because that situation has a few different issues that need to be taken into consideration.

Susan: Have you the slightest evidence or logic to support this idea?
Humm. . . lets try this a different way; I have already tried to explain "how things are:" do you have any recordings of the solo violin or cello partitas/sonatas/suits? All the recordings that I own, the performers use a [flexible] just intonation. Find me a recording that uses ANYTHING different; I'll be happy to go find the CD so I can listen to what you are talking about. This might be a good place to start a demonstration of string intonation. Or, maybe you could make a quick recording of how you play in EQT. Now that is something that I would really like to hear: a string player that know how to play in EQT!

Bradley M. Snook